July 28, 2011

The Art of Encouragement

There are so many people that need encouraged. It's a full-time job. What should I do? Send a card? Go for coffee? Give her a hug? Bring her cookies? Study the Bible with her? Listen to her? What do I say? I don't want to say the wrong thing. I also don't want to feel like I sent a card, so I did my job and now I can move on. I genuinely want to see this person grow. I want to see her change and grow closer to God and feel like I care about her.

I am not talking about just one person here in this blog. I have encountered many people here in the church in Kayenta that need a lot of encouragement. There are people going through any or all of the following: need a friend, dealing with bad relationships, confused about the Word of God, going through struggles at work, family issues, abuse, and loss of a loved one. Could this be because I have asked God to give me more opportunities to help others? My prayers have been answered and I am glad. I feel like I have accomplished something if I spent an hour listening to some one's struggles. I am thankful they feel comfortable confiding in me and I try to give advice based on God's word alone.

1 comment:

  1. 2nd try....

    Your comments remind me of so many times in the past year when it was important for me to listen...not because I needed to hear, but because the other person needed to be heard. Relationships are such an essential part of fulfillment and purpose in life's work. Your blog resonates.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete